Thursday, June 25, 2009

I'm Back










Wow,

nearly a year since the last post. We'll I'm hoping to get back on the bus now so I should be ploughing through the auld books.


I am currently reading Bound For Glory by Woody Gutherie. For those of you who don't know Woody is a now legendary american folk singer popular in the 50s who was one of the majoy influences on Bob Dylan. Having read bob Dylans autobiography (Chronicles Vol1 - whens he gonna publish the second vol!!!) - he waxed lyrical about his love of Woody and how is teens were spent doing all he could trying to dig up woody albums that he didn;t have or know about.
I suppose back then there was no itunes or allmusic.com, where you can instantly find out the completed discography of any artist. It would have been a mystery. How many albums? In which order were they recorded~? Woody was a bit of a vagrant and recorded stuff here and there so I imagine it would have been a real task to get a complete collection.
And thats pretty much what the books is about, Woodys travels around America most around the time of the WW2 although it does also give a great back ground to his childhood.

Interesting fact the gang of kids he used to hang around with were called the Boom Town Rats. This was down to the fact they were based in one of the oil boom towns of the early 1920s (I think). I think its great that this is where Geldof got the name for his band (I stand to be corrected)

The book is very reminiscint of the Grapes of Wrath by John Stienbeck (one of my favorites). And the poverty and hunger people faced seemed devastaing.


So yeah a great book, with illustratons by the author.
Never realised there was a film made of it until I just searched for images there, must check it out.

Keep em comin
g



























No comments: