Monday, December 17, 2007

Back into it via Polysyballic spree



Well,


I just made a balls of my previous draft of this post and now I've to write it again so I'll forgo the excellent prose that filled the first version.


Basically I ain't posted in a while because I've been reading dickens Oliver. This is of course part of my trawl through literature. Only problem is once you get past the "please sir can I have some more" its all down hill and that's almost in the second chapter. And theres now "food, glorious fooood" song in the book obviously. Anyhow thats not to say that dickens didn't know what hes at. This was I think his second novel published as a serialised version in a paper. And it does actually read like that. You can just picture some toff getting the horse and carriage to work in the morning droolling over the dry wit of mr dickens. Essentially I've been doing the same on the luas. However this has meant that I have not been cycling and as a result perhaps not running and as a result, in addition to a lot of chrimbo excess have put on 2bls!!!!


Oliver was getting a little laborious and the thoughts of setting in Jane Eyre which is next on my shelf was not very appetising. Well cometh the time.... comeths the book. I was in waterstones trying to buy something for Michael when I noticed a book by Nick Hornby called Polysyllabic Spree. Its basically a compilation of articles he did for a literary magazine where he lists the books he bough and read (never the same) each month and give a rambling review of each. I was just what I needed because the whole point of the book is that certain books suit us at certain times and that we should be spontaneous in our reading and our purchasing of books.


I bought the book on Saturday, started reading it briefly before Tom and Talys and then got up early on Sunday morning and started into it. I had it finished by 10pm. Thats including a horrendous shopping trip to the blanch. (7000 car parking spaces, all full). So I've decided to put Oliver aside for a short while, I've only about 150 pages left and start something else on my list - Best of Sherlock Holmes. It was such a treat to start fresh into the book. Who knew Holmes did cocaine!, very topical.



Any how here's hoping the reading will go much more pleasantly now.










No comments: