Thursday, December 27, 2007

Break the back of christmas



Howdy,




Well I feel like I'm over the most of Christmas now. I did get to read some. Picked up Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas on Christmas eve for myself and finished it Christmas day . Its a good book. The tag line being something like great trajedy seen through Innocent eyes. I think this will definitely get made into a move. Its not that long and reads really quickly and has an interesting ending. So yeah I could really recommend it but it probably won't change your life. I find so like of art changes my life anymore. Maybe that's because there's now so much of my life that I its takes more to change it. I think we may just get nudged around by circumstances. Perhaps that's why older men need something catastrophic (heart bypass) to change their habits. Anyhow.


Other than that I'm still wading through The Trial by Kafka which is quite short but slow going, but have that aside for A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Brave New World is I guess a futuristic novel written in 1932 about a Utopian society. It is interesting to see how much of everyday life he has gotten right. E.g. one of the female character was disappointed by a hotel on a recent trip to the north pole as it didn't have a telly in every room. You could kinda of tell this was supposed to be tongue in cheek, i.e. that people of the time should baulk at the idea of it, but now it is the case. Also I never knew where the word soma, which is one of the tracks on smashing pumpkins Siamese dream album, came from, now I get it. Soma is the drug they take in the future to ease peoples minds, seems pretty cool drug, you can take 1 gram to cal your nerves and give you a good feeling, take 4 or more and you're off into some cosmic hallucinogenic dream - far out man.



No comments: